Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain
Do you find yourself feeling more tired after your night’s sleep than before you wake up? Most of us assume that back pain only occurs when we get old, but that’s untrue. Back pain is responsible for approximately 264 million lost work days yearly. It affects people of all ages. Low back pain costs Americans at least $50 billion in health care costs annually.  Although many factors may contribute to this problem, it is also possible that your old mattress is causing this discomfort.
If your mattress is the source of your problem, and you don’t have the budget to buy a new one just yet, you might want to look for the best mattress topper for back pain as an alternative solution.
What is a Mattress Topper for Back Pain?
A topper for back pain is a thin layer of padding that is placed on top of the mattress. It can help correct any sagging portions of your bed while providing your body with additional support. Depending on the mattress pad, it may also reflect the heat outwards to keep your body cool and comfortable as you sleep. These two factors contribute to a good night’s sleep.
However, finding the best bed topper for back pain can be extra challenging because of the varied options. This is because there are dozens of mattress toppers on the market. The good news is that, with the right knowledge, you will be able to pick the correct bed topper for your back pain.
Types of Mattress Toppers to Consider
To determine the best mattress topper for back pain, you will need to familiarize yourself with what types of mattress toppers are available in the first place. Here are five options.
- Memory foam. Memory foam mattress toppers may be pricey, but they are quite popular among consumers because of their ability to minimize noise and movement. They come in a variety of thickness. This aspect allows you to find one that will suit your body’s weight and any pressure points. A memory foam mattress topper is preferred by those with aches and pains in their joints because they conform to the body. However, since a memory foam mattress pad is made from synthetic materials, there is off-gassing. The amount of time off-gassing lasts, varies. Some mattresses take only a few days, while others can last up to a month.
- Cotton. A cotton mattress pad, on the other hand, can range from cheap to expensive depending on the quality of the cotton. Generally, cotton toppers are easier to clean and quite soft. These toppers are typically machine washable. The downside to cotton mattress toppers though is that they are not as durable as other types of bed toppers.
- Wool. If you are looking for the best mattress topper for lower back pain made from all-natural materials, you can also buy one made from wool. You’ll find these softer than cotton and more durable. If you have allergies, choosing a wool mattress topper is a good idea as it helps keep allergies at bay. Wool mattress toppers wick away moisture keeping you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. There are many reasons why choosing wool for a mattress topper for back pain makes sense. Among these reasons are that they are affordable, comfortable, durable, and good for the environment.
- Egg crate foam. The budget-friendly egg crate foam topper is placed on top of the sleeping surface, as well. It’s lightweight and acts as a good cushion for your body. However, when it comes to back support, this isn’t the best option. There is also off-gassing that can occur with the egg crate foam that is similar to memory foam toppers. Also, they are not biodegradable. These foam mattress toppers have been around for a while, but are not known for their durability.
- Natural latex. Natural latex may be the most expensive, but there are good reasons for this. Latex molds around your body with several options for thickness and support. In general, latex provides a firmer mattress topper for back pain.
What to Choose for the Best Mattress Topper for Lower Back Pain
Whether you are looking for a firm mattress topper for back pain, or something softer, the market is filled with toppers that can provide you with pressure relief to help alleviate back pain when you sleep. Here are a few options to consider.
- 4-inch memory foam mattress topper. For those who are seeking a firm mattress topper for back pain, a four-inch memory foam mattress delivers plenty of support for your back to help lessen any aches and pains so you can get some much-needed sleep. Another plus to this option is that it comes with proper ventilation so you’ll feel cool as you sleep.
- Gel-infused ventilated memory foam mattress topper. Back sleepers will find this gel memory foam topper an excellent option for alleviating back pain because it comes with 2” gel swirl memory foam topper that provides good support and cushion for your spine. For side sleepers, use this along on your bed to alleviate the pressure points on your hips. Because it is gel-infused memory foam, air circulates better thus keeping you cool at night.
- 3-inch Talalay latex mattress topper. Another option that you can consider when it comes to the best mattress topper for back pain is the Talalay latex mattress topper. It is made from bamboo materials, making it one of the sturdiest in the market. Compared to regular latex foam, Talalay provides you with more comfort as you lie in bed. When comparing memory foam toppers and Talalay latex, memory foam tends to be less firm. Another plus to using this type of mattress topper is that it doesn’t sag easily. If you are prone to back pain or other chronic pain due to a sagging mattress, investing in this kind of mattress topper may give you the best value for your money.
- 2” Premium memory foam topper. If you are seeking the best memory foam topper for back pain, this is an excellent option to consider. This is a solid foam mattress topper that provides you with a responsive comfort layer to sleep on. It is hypoallergenic and antimicrobial foam. For those who suffer from joint aches and pains, this topper easily conforms to your body’s weight, as well as, allow you to position yourself for the best comfort and pressure relief. Lying on this topper will help keep your spine maintain alignment by providing support to your head, shoulders, as well, your neck. This type of memory foam topper is typically cut 1” shorter on all edges to ensure that the sheet that you are using will fit.
What to Look for in Bed Padding for Back Pain?
When shopping for the best bed topper for back pain, there are a few things that you need to consider:
- Waterproof cover. Buying a mattress topper that has a waterproof cover can help minimize cleanups while you are in bed.
- Memory foam. Back pain can be alleviated with the help of memory foam or a latex mattress topper since the two tend to conform to the shape of your body. They also help ensure that your body’s weight is evenly distributed. A latex mattress topper is typically firmer than a memory foam topper.
- Thickness. The thickness of the mattress topper also plays a part in whether you are going to get a great night’s sleep. Firm mattress toppers may be ideal if your mattress is sagging, but not if you have a newer mattress or you have a lot of joint tenderness. A medium firm or slightly soft topper will not lose its shape while contouring to your body, so can help you sleep better at night.
Back pain is not a joke. It can be debilitating at times. If you want to help alleviate this pain, why not invest on a mattress topper for that extra layer of support and cushion for your back and body? Whether you choose a latex mattress topper, memory foam mattress topper, or a hybrid, you should explore which ones are best for your preferred sleeping position.